- Programmes Programmes
- Ordinary residency in Malta
- Qualifying Employment in Aviation Rule
- Qualifying Employment in Innovation and Creativity (Personal Tax) (Amendment) Rules, 2019
- Qualifying Employment in Maritime and Offshore Oil & Gas Industry Rule
Citizenship for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment
With the continuously changing global dynamics and evolving geopolitics, there is an ever-growing number of highly-talented high-net-worth individuals who are willing to invest and relocate to give themselves and their family members the chance to broaden their horizons and become part of a welcoming community. Nowadays, investor interest is at an all-time high, and ideas of possible mutually beneficial partnerships keep on flourishing. This phenomenon enriches human capital and consequently attracts market leaders who can provide added value with their business baggage.
Malta is a forward-looking microstate merely 316 km2 of land at the crossroads of the Mediterranean which embraced this opportunity, ventured into this industry, and is now right in the centre of this phenomenon, creating a melting pot of business know-how, experiences, skills and funding that are positively contributing to its society, stimulating business and increasing job creation.
The Granting of Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is regulated by the Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services Regulations (S.L. 188.06).
The requisites for filing an application are:
- Provide a proof of residence in Malta for a period of 36 months, provided that this period may by exception be reduced to a minimum of 12 months, subject to an exceptional direct investment (of €600,000 and €750,000 respectively), to be effected prior the issue of the certificate of naturalisation;
- Purchase an immovable residential property in Malta having a minimum value of €700,000 or take on a lease a residential immovable property in Malta for a minimum annual rent of €16,000, which property shall be adequate and suitable for the applicant and his dependants, for a minimum period of five (5) years from the date of issue of the certificate of citizenship;
- Carry out an exceptional direct investment in Malta, in accordance with Regulations L. 188.06; and
- Donate, prior to the issue of the certificate of naturalisation, a minimum of €10,000 to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic non-governmental organisation or society, or as otherwise approved by the Agency.