Nomad Residence Permit
The nomad residence permit, which was launched in June 2021, allows third-country nationals who would normally require a Visa to travel to Malta, to retain their current employment based in another country whilst legally residing on the island.
Malta has become quite popular with expats working in the igaming and software industries and aims at further consolidating its reputation with this population cluster.
The duration of the permit is one year, renewable at the discretion of Residency Malta, as long as the applicant still meets the set eligibility criteria.
In order to be eligible for the nomad residence permit, applicants must be third country nationals and prove they can work remotely.
Applicants must also prove they fall under any one of the following 3 categories:
- being in possession of a work contract issued by an employer registered in a foreign country;
- conduct business activities for a company registered in a foreign country and of which applicant is partner/shareholder; or
- offer freelance or consulting services, mostly to clients whose permanent establishments are in a foreign country, and with whom the applicant has contracts;
- reach a gross monthly income threshold of EUR 2,700;
- hold a valid travel document;
- have health insurance covering risks in Malta;
- be in possession of a valid property rental or purchase agreement; and
- pass a background verification check.
Standard rules and procedures for obtaining visas and similar permits apply, in addition to the proof of eligibility, while Covid-19 travel restrictions may apply.
Further information may be obtained from the Residency Malta website at https://residencymalta.gov.mt/
Our immigration services
Grant Thornton has extensive experience in the areas of citizenship and residence planning and in the handling of legal and tax matters relevant to the structuring and planning of personal wealth and personal interests and business worldwide having built a sterling reputation. Our Citizenship & Residence Planning team is led by partner Dr Wayne Pisani.