Bernard pursued his studies at the University of Malta, majoring in Accountancy and Economics as part of a Bachelor of Commerce course. He went on to further his studies in Accountancy, graduating with a Master in 2018. His dissertation, entitled 'Healthcare Systems in Europe and their Relevance to Malta: A Comparative Analysis’, is currently under peer review at Public Money and Management and the Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting & Financial Management.
The Master incorporated study units relating to corporate finance, taxation, audit and assurance, financial management and accounting, entrepreneurship, financial instruments and risk analysis.
Bernard presently forms part of the Transaction Advisory team at Grant Thornton, focusing predominantly on business plans, feasibility studies, valuations and financial due diligence for a diversified portfolio of Maltese and overseas clients. He is also routinely roped in to assist the Economic Advisory team with a variety of engagements.
In his time at Grant Thornton, Bernard has been responsible for:
- The design and execution of a long-term project with Primary Healthcare to monitor and assess the performance of the primary healthcare system and the evaluation of the incremental impact brought about by a capital investment of €10 million;
- The preparation of an input study to assist Malta Enterprise with developing a research contribution mechanism from importers, distributors and producers of medical cannabis in Malta;
- Assisting clients with access to finance through local and EU grant schemes, including the preparation of business plans and financial projections; and
- Assisting government entities with financial feasibility studies, cost-benefits analyses and business plans for several projects, including for the construction of a new outpatients’ block at Mater Dei Hospital.
- Bachelor of Commerce in Accountancy and Economics from the University of Malta
- Masters of Accountancy from the University of Malta
- Member of the Malta Institute of Accountants