- Programmes Programmes
- Ordinary residency in Malta
- Qualifying Employment in Aviation Rule
- Qualifying Employment in Innovation and Creativity (Personal Tax) (Amendment) Rules, 2019
- Qualifying Employment in Maritime and Offshore Oil & Gas Industry Rule
Malta Permanent Residence Programme
The MPRP, launched in 2021, is a programme open to non-EU national investors and their dependents who would like to acquire the right to reside, settle or stay indefinitely in Malta.
The residency permit allows the applicant the right to travel within the Schengen Area without the necessity of a visa.
Residency Malta Agency (the “Agency”), the agency taking care of the MPRP, requires the main applicant, at application stage, to provide:
- A total non-refundable administration fee of EUR 40,000, of which EUR 10,000 is paid within 1 month from submission of application, and EUR 30,000 is payable within 2 months of issuance of the Letter of Approval in Principle by the Agency;
- Evidence of possession of assets to the satisfaction of the Agency, having a value of not less €500,000, out of which a minimum of €150,000 shall be in the form of financial assets;
- An undertaking to acquire or lease the title to a qualifying property in Malta;
- An undertaking to remit the total contribution;
- A sickness insurance policy in respect of all risks normally covered for Maltese nationals;
- Evidence of a clean police record;
- A successful strict due diligence check;
- An undertaking to make the donation of EUR 2,000 to a local registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic non-governmental organisation;
- Any other necessary document as required by the Agency.
The title to a qualifying property in Malta is divided into either:
a. The residential property purchased or acquired by title of emphyteusis at a consideration of not less than EUR 350,000 for a property situated in Malta; or EUR 300,000 for a property situated in the South of Malta or Gozo; or
b. Rented property taken on lease for a rent of not less than €12,000 per annum in Malta or €10,000 if the property is in Gozo or in the South of Malta.
The main applicant may also include dependent family members in the same MPRP application, namely:
- The Spouse or Partner for an additional contribution of EUR 7,500;
- Unmarried and economically dependent children of the main applicant and of the spouse, who, if under the age of 18 years, there shall be no requirement for a contribution payment.
- Economically dependent parents or grandparents of the main applicant and of the spouse for an additional contribution of EUR 7,500 for every individual included.
Once due diligence checks on the main applicant and dependents (if any) are conducted successfully, a Letter of Approval in Principle is issued and the contribution can be paid up.
The contribution is the investment requirement in the Maltese economy by payment to the Agency within 8 months from the issuance of the Letter of Approval in Principle and shall be in the amount of:
- Where the title to the qualifying property is through ownership or emphyteusis, the contribution by the main applicant is EUR 28,000 and where applicable, with the addition of EUR 7,500 for the inclusion of every parent or grandparent;
- Where the qualifying property is leased, the contribution is EUR 58,000 for the main applicant and where applicable, with the addition of EUR 7,500 for the inclusion of every parent or grandparent.
Resident Malta Agency shall annually monitor adherence to all the obligations and conditions of the residency-by-investment certificate by the applicant and his approved dependents for the first five years from the issue of the certificate, and thereafter, whenever the Agency deems it opportune in its sole discretion.
Any individual seeking an MPRP application shall take up the services of an authorised agent. The main applicant shall authorize such agent to act for and on his behalf in respect of all applications, correspondence, submissions, filings, declarations, notifications and other ancillary matters.